Counseling Update 3/4/16

4 Mar

Today was an interesting day.  Because my case manager has been so busy and her role within my health insurance is changing my appointments are now about 30 minutes a week instead of the usual hour, I assume if I needed a full hour she would be there for me.  First  things first, yesterday I found out I got into San Diego State University which is/was my first choice for attending school but would require a move and some big changes.  I earlier had sort of written it off because I was not stable enough, but now am actually considering it.  Anyways, if you follow me on my blog Facebook page you would see I was “feeling stoked!”  My case manager practically cried today when she found out, she was so proud and excited.  It also happens to be her alma mater.  The main reason I applied is it’s the only college in the state that has a BA in LGBT studies.

Next I mentioned how I went to 20 somethings group last night and after group, one of the members was talking about a co-worker who had to move office cubicles because of the strong scent of another co-workers perfume/cologne.  It was a good opportunity to bring up Sensory Processing Disorder, and it being a spectrum and the complexities.  I also explained my history with it.  While recanting the story to my case manager she was surprised I had so many issues with it, as we have never talked about it all together in one session, she suggested I get an evaluation for ASD  (Autistic Spectrum Disorders) because of these and other symptoms I have, she’s going to talk to the therapist about it.  I feel torn; another diagnosis, possible more resources especially if I’ll be making this big step towards moving.  There’s always something new.

7 Responses to “Counseling Update 3/4/16”

1. midnightdemons7 March 4, 2016 at 6:08 PM #

first, YAY! for getting into the school you wanted to get into. I am so happy for you. second, I am glad that you were able to talk about the sensory stuff openly. That took a lot of courage. I am no expert in autism by any means, but do you have to follow through with the suggestion? I know it will mean more help and stuff. but will you be disappointed if you don’t meet the disorder? Or if you do have ASD, will it be more taxing problem for you. Just thinking out loud. Feel free to ignore the comment

• mm172001 March 5, 2016 at 8:29 AM #

I’m not sure with ASD there is both good and bad so I guess I could look at it as a win win or a lose lose, so I’ll try win-win.

2. Bradley March 4, 2016 at 9:59 PM #

Congratulations on being accepted. Big step. A BA in LGBT studies? I’ve never heard that and I’m curious. I look forward to seeing what you’ll be studying as you progress through school.

Good luck on the ASD evaluation. Whatever comes of it, I wish you the best.

• mm172001 March 5, 2016 at 8:27 AM #

Yeah as for the BA in LGBT studies there aren’t many programs out there that is why I am so excited to have gotten int.
      Yeah as for the ASD eval I’m just going to see what comes of it and try to take it the best I can.

3. matterstosam March 6, 2016 at 10:16 AM #

Yay about geting into the school you want! I have a friend with SPD. She does OT and it really helps. Maybe you can get resources to do that if you get the diagnosis.

• mm172001 March 6, 2016 at 10:20 AM #

I do have the SPD but it’s been so long and I’ve never had treatment so I mostly just learned how to cope, ur somewhat effectively

4. manyofus1980 March 8, 2016 at 4:15 AM #

congratulations on getting in to sandigo state! you will be awesome i know it. X