When we forget our medications work

1 Nov

The last few days have been really difficult, especially today and yesterday.  I think Friday I was running on adrenaline and that’s why I was doing okay.  It’s well known that people who take psychotropic medications usually have a difficulty with compliance for one reason or another.  Other than a couple incidences in my life I’ve been pretty compliant with what I’m prescribed.  The problem for me comes with re-fills.  I take a lot of different medications and some refill at different times than others.  A couple of them also have special refill instructions like more days to process the order.  I also take my pills from a pill chart, so I only see the bottles once a week.

Tuesday night I ran out of my Viibryd, there was a problem with the online pharmacy, it is one of my special order medications, and it was a new dosage/quantity prescription.  When I’m taking all my medications I’m feeling okay and I don’t really think about the fact that I’m doing okay is because I’m taking my medication.  I tend to underestimate it’s effects.  It’s only after I haven’t had it in my system for a few days that I realize the importance of it.  I’m sure part of it is wishful thinking to, it’s be so nice not to rely on medication to keep stable moods.

But the evidence shows itself yet again.  Yesterday and today I’ve been having uncontrollable crying spells, been more suicidal with stronger self harm urges.  I want to drop my classes, drop my future plans, drop off the planet.  I’ve spent most of yesterday and today in bed also.  It’s the weekend, so I need to wait until tomorrow to see if my prescription is in.  I need it.

8 Responses to “When we forget our medications work”

1. TEDESTEN November 1, 2015 at 9:01 PM #

I took Viibryd with Mirtazapine (Remeron) and it was bad news. I hope you can make it through. I’m in the middle of switching drugs too. It fucking blows.

• mm172001 November 3, 2015 at 12:19 PM #

I got through it.

• TEDESTEN November 3, 2015 at 12:39 PM #

Congrats! Sometimes that’s the worst.

2. manyofus1980 November 2, 2015 at 3:10 AM #

the meds help. that is a sure thing. compliance is an issue for us. we are compliant it is just we are forgetful and don’t remember to take the meds sometimes. now because of that we take an injection once a month. and less meds. XX

• mm172001 November 3, 2015 at 12:17 PM #

It’s just been hard lately because they don’t all refill at the same time.

3. Andi November 2, 2015 at 3:56 PM #

I’m glad you recognize this pattern because it can be so tricky to stay compliant when you’re feeling well. I hope the meds come in soon.

• mm172001 November 3, 2015 at 12:16 PM #

I picked them up from the pharmacy yesterday.