The Sensory Processing Disorder Diagnosis

20 Aug

I’ve written a couple posts so far or my current diagnoses and this is another and there will be one more to come.  To see the one on Borderline Personality Disorder or Schizoaffective Disorder click the links.

I’ve always had what I have referred to as “sensory issues.”  I though Sensory processing disorder was only a diagnosis children could have.  After this last hospitalization (Oct 2014) I was surprised to see this listed on my discharge paperwork for the very fist time.  Many prior discharge paper works have had my main diagnosis of BPD and Schizoaffective disorder.  So me being the person that I am went to search the internet, and lo and behold it’s a correct diagnosis.

I was surprised to find out clumsiness is common in people with SPD, I fall so often I usualy don’t know where my bruises come from, terrible balance all my life.

I’m very sensitive with what I will allow to come into contact with my hands specifically my palms and fingers.  I rarely wash my hands and put on sunscreen because of the discomfort.  I use to wash my hair with my forearms but now can tolerate a quick wash with my hands.  I don’t use any lotions or oils.  I will not give you a high five.  I can’t stand holding hands or handshakes.  And when I clap my hands, it goes palm to outside of hand or palm on knees.  When I’m in the pool I keep my hands out of the water.

There are certain fabrics I can’t wear like satin and volure and other random fabrics.  I can’t have underwear with tags on them.

As far as smells go I’m mostly okay but I don’t like heavy perfume or body sprays.

I can’t stand the sound of sharpening knives, people flossing, and probably some other stuff I can’t think of right now.

I appreciate the diagnosis because now some of my weird “quirks” fit into something that is legit.  I’ve also found a couple sensory blogs and that’s been helpful too.

10 Responses to “The Sensory Processing Disorder Diagnosis”

1. Cat August 21, 2015 at 5:02 AM #

Some people frown over diagnosis’ but IME it can help us understand ourselves a little better and I always say how can we recover if we don’t know exactly what we’re supposed to be recovering or adapting to

• mm172001 August 21, 2015 at 9:57 AM #

I know. I just wonder why they waited till now and what evidence did they use to give me the diagnosis. I hate how psych hospitals just give you a paper on the way out the door that says your diagnoses.

2. closertohappiness August 21, 2015 at 8:37 AM #

I’m glad you’re appreciating the diagnosis. : ) I know for me it was a relief to know there was a logical explanation.

3. Andi August 21, 2015 at 8:57 AM #

It’s always nice when you feel validated for something you experience every day.

4. 21andsensory August 22, 2015 at 6:15 AM #

Interesting post – it was a relief for me too to have a diagnosis 😊

• mm172001 August 22, 2015 at 11:24 PM #

I hope to write more as I learn more about it. I really enjoy your blog. And realized today I completely forgot about textures I won’t eat.

5. manyofus1980 August 30, 2015 at 4:30 PM #

SPD sounds so hard to live with. I know another person who has the disorder and she finds so many things to be challenging. Until I met her I never knew much about it. XX

• mm172001 August 31, 2015 at 10:12 AM #

I never thought it was a real disorder in adults so it’s kinda validating to know I’m not just strange.