Boredom: What do I do?

3 Jan

When most people think of boredom, they probably just think of sitting around with nothing fun to do or no specific plans.  As someone with Borderline Personality Disorder, boredom is a very difficult emotion and it brings self destructive thoughts and behaviors.  I’ve remembered self harming in the past because “I didn’t have anything else to do” also because since I didn’t have anything to keep me occupied my brain ran away with itself getting me more worked up.  It may seem extreme and I don’t think I’m the only one.  I knew a girl with BPD who ripped out wrist staples from a suicide attempt because she was bored.  I know others mention an intolerance of being bored because thoughts and feelings seem to overtake them.  On top of this I currently have a headache, so my moods not great anyways.  My dad is gone and my mom doesn’t like to go out.  My sister is out with her husband on one of his first days off.  I’ve been working on my SMASH journal most of yesterday and part of today and am just running out of inspiration.  I can’t sleep and friends aren’t returning messages.  What do I do?

9 Responses to “Boredom: What do I do?”

1. prideinmadness January 3, 2015 at 9:27 PM #

I used to self harm when I was bored too. When I have nothing to do I pick a new movie or old fav to watch with my fav snack.

Or I start singing, loudly!

• mm172001 January 7, 2015 at 5:37 PM #

I got through it, it’s just one of the self harm triggers a lot of people don’t think about.

• prideinmadness January 9, 2015 at 7:05 AM #

I actually used the boredom as a sign that I had a serious problem with cutting. Never did anything with it but it was a turning point for me.

• mm172001 January 9, 2015 at 9:59 AM #

I understand what you mean everyone’s journey is different. When people ask me how I stopped self harming, I give tips, but really it’s different for everyone.

• prideinmadness January 10, 2015 at 6:53 AM #

I give tips too. I don’t even know how I stopped. I just didn’t do it.

2. savemefrombpd January 6, 2015 at 7:57 AM #

I’ve self-harmed impulsively and not impulsively. Like I have thought at lunch time that I am really wound up by something and so I will self-harm later on. Then there is the boredom too when I self-harm. But the boredom is not just in that time specifically but I am generally bored with life. A big general bored feeling!!!

• mm172001 January 7, 2015 at 5:34 PM #

Sometimes I knew I would end up self harming but now that I’ve stopped I just know I won’t. It’s a strange twist.

• savemefrombpd January 7, 2015 at 10:55 PM #

Good for you. Keep it up!

3. manyofus1980 January 17, 2015 at 11:22 AM #

I think you answered your own question. You were working on the journel. And writing. That helps I hope? Boredum is so hard to deal with. XX