Avoiding eye contact

22 Nov

So I’ve had this thing for awhile with avoiding eye contact with people. It makes me really anxious and feel funny inside. I’m getting better at it when I got to be. Also with physical closeness. Why do I have to be so weird?

9 Responses to “Avoiding eye contact”

1. Kyra November 22, 2014 at 1:18 AM #

I’ve always struggled with that too. To get into my high school, part of the audition process involved an interview with the department faculty. A year or two after I got in, the creative writing department chair was recounting my audition–apparently they referred to me as “the one who wouldn’t look at anybody.” I’ve gotten a bit better about it too. I can force myself to do it when I need to, particularly in professional situations, but it makes me extremely uncomfortable. In most situations I just avoid it because it’s easier.

• mm172001 November 24, 2014 at 12:00 PM #

Yeah avoiding is much easier. I can force myself to in social settings and look at people for short periods of time and then look away. Luckily I don’t really have any professional settings I think that would be even harder.

2. awkwardalycia November 22, 2014 at 11:02 AM #

I do this too. It’s especially bad when I’m walking anywhere – from class to class, from my front door to my car, from my car to work … I took a job cleaning at night specifically so that I wouldn’t have to see or interact with other people. I feel like my reactions are just so awkward that I kind of cringe into myself and am immediately apologetic, even if I’ve done nothing wrong.

The only time this is different is when I’m interacting directly with professors, for some reason … so weird. But I know how you feel – you’re not alone! ❤

• mm172001 November 24, 2014 at 11:59 AM #

Thanks. Yeah I do this when walking and when interacting with people. I cqan look at them now for short periods of time and then look away.

3. H. November 22, 2014 at 3:44 PM #

I do it too.

• mm172001 November 24, 2014 at 11:58 AM #

Yet another thing we have in common.

• H. November 25, 2014 at 2:16 PM #

There does seem to be a lot!

4. manyofus1980 November 23, 2014 at 5:54 PM #

Its a tough one. So many people with MH issues struggle with it. In fact I would say lots of just ordinary shy sorta people also struggle with it. I don’t think your weird at all. xx

• mm172001 November 24, 2014 at 11:58 AM #

Thanks. It just makes it that much harder to get out there because I think everyone notices.