Re-blog comebacks to depression comments

29 Nov

People in the mental health community often mention how ignorant people are and how their comments about mental illness end up annoying or hurting them.  This has resulted in a lot of people offering lists of things not to say to someone with mental illness, and it usually focuses on depression.  While on the internet I found these witty comebacks to 5 common comments you should say to someone with depression. You can find the original blog at The Good Men Project:

1. “Depression isn’t real.”

Comeback: “It’s much more real than your imaginary medical expertise.”

2. “You have nothing to be depressed about! You’ve got a great life!”

Comeback: “That’s like saying to an asthmatic, ‘Of course you can breathe! There’s lots of air everywhere!’ ”

3. “But you don’t look like you have a mental illness.”

Comeback: “That’s because I’m disguised as a human being today.”

4. “It’s all in your head.”

Comeback: “As opposed to where? Up my ass?”

5. “But you can’t be depressed—there are so many people who are worse off than you!”

Comeback: “Well then you can’t be happy, because there are so many people who are better off than you.”

11 Responses to “Re-blog comebacks to depression comments”

1. kandikoosh November 29, 2013 at 6:30 AM #

I really need to remember these, I love number 4.

2. gypsy116 November 29, 2013 at 2:26 PM #

Reblogged this on Pieces of Me.

3. bryanehyde November 29, 2013 at 8:46 PM #

Reblogged this on Living with anxiety and depression.

4. manyofus1980 December 4, 2013 at 7:21 AM #

Reblogged this on Many of us's blog and commented:
    I love these comebacks! They are a must have for anyone with mental health difficulties! 🙂

5. Cheri December 4, 2013 at 7:49 PM #

outstanding!!!

6. beingemily December 7, 2013 at 7:22 PM #

Reblogged this on Being Emily living plural.

7. Andrea June 2, 2014 at 6:16 PM #

Having been depressed myself. I know people really don’t know what is appropriate to say. I had a friend look at me and gasp in shock, due to my obvious downtrodden look. I think people need to just say I am here if you ever need someone to talk to. I am a good listener.

• mm172001 June 2, 2014 at 9:18 PM #

That’s a great thing to say.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. What to say to someone experiencing depression | Marci, Mental Health, & More - June 21, 2014

[…] had posted this earlier today on my Facebook along with a link to a re-blog of comebacks to depression comments.  High school friend said I should post what people should say, so here is my attempt to do […]